Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Carrot juice causes dysentery

When you are in doubt, it is best to avoid that food for kids. I went against my instincts and I hate myself for that. For 2 weeks now, I have been giving carrot juice to Lil General. Unable to shop for veggies on a daily basis, there was a half carrot left that I decided to give him. Seeing something white in the center portion of the carrot, I removed it, cut the good part and prepared his juice. Though it all looked good, something didn't feel quite right. The boy was hungry and it was his juice time. The Seniol had said just that morning that I overreact for everything. So reassuring myself all was good, I fed him the juice. It took only a few hours for it to react. He started passing stools that looked exactly like the carrot juice I fed him. He did that 3 times before evening - all orange in color. I got shit scared, worried and gave him Darolac.

The dysentery continued until the next day till all the bad carrot came out. Thank god, he wasn't dehydrated. I took him to the Doc who thought it wasn't the carrot but the bottle feeding habit. Now I have to wean him off the bottle and get used to cup feeding.

Related sources: Can fruit juice give my baby diarrhea?

0 comments: